Friday, December 4, 2009

A Terrible Thanksgiving

Author's Note: I find that this post speaks to humans as a whole. Most of us see what we have, enjoy it for a small time then dread either what is to come due to it, or what can't be avoided by having it. What we must do is do only what we can, nothing more, nothing less, and when that's done what happens is supposed to happen.

I wake up to the smell of turkey wafting down from upstairs. The smell gently blanketing the house in such a heavenly aroma. I get out of bed and follow my nose and rise to see a great feast so invitingly emerging out of our humble table. The food gods have blessed this day over and over again. My mother scolds me for waking up at eleven but all is soon forgotten as we sit at the table and stuff ourselves silly. Literally. A joyous day an even better food coma. We all muster the strength to get to the living room so we can watch the football games. What's better food football and more food? As the Lions get crushed I wish for nothing but to live this day over again and again. That is the best life imaginable. As I get hungry which is only possible for me after Thanksgiving lunch I salivate over the left over turkey that I am about to gorge myself on. Oh so wonderful.
I wish I could hold on to that. That dream. Now laying here in my cold bed trying to go back I dread the coming of the manifestation that no human should speak of that is coming in mere hours. School.

1 comment:

  1. I like the last part. It seems school ruins the feeling of breaks because you know that it's on its way again. I hate that feeling because it gets in the way of me enjoying the break.

    ReplyDelete

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn