Monday, December 7, 2009

The Adventure Behind the Fridge

Author's Note: This is more of an impromptu, but true story. When this happened I knew that it needed to be let to the public for some relief from their daily lives. Even though this was greatly embarrassing to Gabe at the time, it is now something that is laughed over.

In late November my step-brother Gabe got stuck... Behind a fridge. I know this sounds weird so I'll walk you through it. See me and him were playing a game with a tennis ball and he flipped it up on top of the cabinets we have down there. This is in my basement just so you know. Anyways, the ball fell down a hole up there, so he got up on a chair. Then climbed onto the cabinets. I asked him "Are you sure you can get out?"
"Yeah. Don't worry." so I let him go down. He picked up the tennis ball and flipped it out of the hole. That's when it all turned sour. He said "Uhhh, Sam?"
"Yeah?" I replied.
"Uhh, I don't think I can get out."
"Wow! Smart one!" First I tried to move the fridge, as it was on wheels but there was a wall between where the fridge had been and Gabe. Then I tried to pull him out through the top but I couldn't get any leverage. Then I tried to use my sweatshirt to get him out like a rope to see if that would provide the needed leverage. It didn't work. Then he started hyperventilating and saying things to the effect of, "Ahhhhhh!!!! I don't want to die!"
"Oh, It'll be fine." I would say while laughing to myself. Then I ran upstairs and my step-mom was at the computer and I said to her "Missy we have a situation."
"What kind of situation?" She asked
"Gabe's stuck"
"Stuck? Stuck where?"
"Behind the fridge but it'll be easier if I show you."
"Well come on then!" We ran down stairs and Gabe was crying his eyes out. Missy immediately said "Sam, call 911."
"NO! No I don't want to be on public TV." Gabe screamed
"You won't be on TV."
"Can't you just try to get me out? Or knock down a wall. I just don't want to be on TV." So she tried to get him out but like I said no leverage. So she said "OK, Gabe, I'm going to call the cops to get you out."
"No just knock down a wall please."
"I don't think I can without hurting you."
"Fine" By now he was over being stuck. So then a cop came and tried to get him out. No luck, so the cop called his lieutenant to come and try to help get Gabe out.When the lieutenant got there he took the weight bar from our work out area and tried to use that to get leverage. Nope. So finally in the end they just kicked in some dry wall in the unfinished part of our basement and got him out. The whole experience took over an hour.

7 comments:

  1. I've never witnessed experiences quite like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you have these experiences and share them with the classes. I wish we had more of this mentality on our blogs. This is a hilarious story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious! Why didn't you leave him there for a little bit? Very good piece, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. Things like that never happen at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! When you mentioned this before, I didn't realize it was as serious as getting emergency help to the house! Yikes.
    I would say go back to the intro and clean up your incorrect use of th esubject case pronouns, and some of the sentences which are not proper form. Even though the topic is fun and light, you want to write in appropriate English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha. That's really funny, in a mean way. I could definately seeing my little brother, Max, doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I feel bad for Gabe, I would be freaking out if I were you. Also, I agree with Mr.J, some of the sentences are confusing.

    ReplyDelete

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn